In pursuit of the profound, the innovative, and the visionary
English Bay, Vancouver, Canada
My “Space-Time-Adaptation” philosophy for knowledge expansion
Chen, V.Z., Cantwell, J.A., & Bathelt, H. The co-evolution of MNEs and institutions: Towards a synthesizing framework based on the relational approach, proposal under review.
Chen, V.Z. & Cantwell, J.A. Diversity and complexity of foreignness: An evolutionary perspective, under review.
Chen, V.Z. & Cantwell, J.A. A social evolution approach of cultures, work-in-progress.
Taylor & Francis most read articles in 2014 in social sciences.
8) Chen, V.Z., Kao, M-S., & Kuo, A. (2013). Taiwan: Inward foreign direct investment and its policy context”, In K.P. Sauvant, P. Mallampally, and G. McAllister (eds.). Inward and outward FDI country profiles (2nd ed., pp. 1066-1081) New York, NY: Columbia University.
9) Li, J., Newenham-Kahindi, A., Shapiro, D.M., & Chen, V.Z. (2013). The two-tier bargaining model revisited: Theory and evidence from China’s natural resource investments in Africa. Global Strategy Journal, 3(4), 300-321.
Chen, V.Z. Blockholder structures and cultural distance in foreign acquisitions, R&R.
Sun, S.L., Shi, S.W., Chen, V.Z., & Prescott, J. Market reform, board network, and innovation, R&R.
Chen, V.Z., Sluhan, A., Hobdari, B., & Kellermanns, F. Cross-border acquisitions of family-owned firms, R&R.
Chen, V.Z., Li, J., & Shapiro, D.M. R&D persistence after cross-border acquisitions, under review.
Chen, V.Z. & Aguilera, R. “Socializing shareholders in agency theory”, work-in-progress.
Chen, V.Z., Hobdari, B. Institutional complexity and board social ties in emerging markets, work-in-progress.
Best Paper in International Corporate Governance, 2016 Academy of Management Meeting
Best Paper Award Finalist in Emerging Economies, 2016 Academy of International Business Meeting
Chen, V.Z., Zhang, Y., Stanley, L., Kellermanns, F., & Eddleston, K. Family migration and strategic change performance, work-in-progress.
15) Chen, V.Z., Li, S., & Musacchio, A. (2016). Hybrid leviathans overseas: Governance-private shareholder conflicts in cross-border acquisitions. Academy of Management Meeting Best Paper Proceedings.
16) Chen, V.Z., Li, J., & Shapiro, D.M. (2015). Subnational institutions and outward FDI by Chinese firms: The mediating role of firm-specific advantages. Multinational Business Review, 23(4), 254 - 276 (Lead article in “Special Issue: Essays in Honour of Alan Rugman”).
Best Paper Finalist in the track of Developing-country MNC at 2012 Academy of International Business Meeting.
17) Chen, V.Z., & Aybar, S. (2015). Is springboard FDI strategy effective? Evidence from Turkish acquisitions. In L. Tihanyi, Banalieva, E.R., Devinney, T.M., & Pedersen, T. (ed.) Advances in International Management, Volume 28 on “Emerging economies and multinational enterprises” (pp. 503-528). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
APJM Mike Peng Best Paper Award of 2014
19) Chen, V.Z., Li, J., & Shapiro, D.M. (2012). International reverse spillover effects on parent firms: Evidences from emerging-market MNEs in developed markets. European Management Journal, 30(3), 204-218.
Chen, V.Z. & Hitt, M.A. Management knowledge synthesis: Integration for practical complexity versus fragmentation for scientific simplicity, R&R.
Chen, V.Z., Li, Y., Banks, G., & Gonzalez-Mule, E. A general approach of knowledge synthesis for evidence-based prescriptions, under review.
Chen, V.Z. & Mousavi, R. A multi-stakeholder perspective of firm performance and strategy, proposal under review.
Chen, V.Z., van Essen, M, Sauerwald, S., & Hitt, M.A. National institutional configurations and stakeholder agency, work-in-progress.
21) Chen, V.Z., & McMillan, C.J. (2012). Business schools in a changing global world: Who creates best practice and knowledge management? Inaugural EFMD Conference on Higher Education and Research Proceedings. Zurich, Switzerland.
22) Chen, V.Z. (2014). A ‘prehistory’ of multinational enterprises: Looking into the past to prepare for the future. European International Business Academy (EIBA) Zine – International Business Perspectives, 14, 19-22.
23) Chen, V.Z. (2012). Puzzles and truths about Indian outward FDI: Toward a more relevant and nuanced research agenda on emerging-market multinational enterprises. Academy of International Business (AIB) Insights, 12(3), 11-14.
26) Woo, Y.P., Zhao, X., Yu, H., Zhang, K.K., Eaton, S., Chen, V.Z., Li, S., Gao, X. (2011). China goes global. Vancouver, Canada, & Beijing, China: Asia-Pacific Foundation of Canada and China Council for Promotion of International Trade.
“Its conclusions will be of benefit to academic readers as well as government officials and diplomats whose responsibilities include balancing compliance expectations with a practical appreciation of how different rights and norms can be perceived, among equally well-meaning officials and institutions.” —Joseph Caron, former Canadian Ambassador to China, Japan, High Commissioner to India, and Assistant Deputy Minister (DFAIT)
“As a student of Canada-China relations over the past thirty years, I commend this collection of papers as a significant breakthrough in Canadian thinking about China.” —Earl Drake, former Canadian Ambassador to China, Indonesia, Assistant Deputy Minister (DFAIT), and Vice-President of CIDA
1) Chair and Co-organizer (with Michael A. Hitt), 2017 Academy of Management Panel Symposium on “Time is ripe for knowledge synthesis: (Re)inventing technologies, outlets and incentives, featured Michael A. Hitt (1997 AOM President; Texas A&M), Denise M. Rousseau (2005 AOM President; Carnegie Mellon University), James P. Walsh (2010 AOM President; University of Michigan), Susan Jackson (2011 AOM President; Rutgers University), and R. Duane Ireland (2014 AOM President; Texas A&M).
2) Chair and Organizer, 2016 Academy of Management Panel Symposium on “Global institutional diversity: Exploring long-term patterns of institutional change”, featured Pulitzer Prize winner Jared Diamond (UCLA) & John Cantwell (Rutgers).
3) Chair and Organizer, 2016 Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop (PDW) on “Creating a more reliable and cumulative knowledge ecosystem: Meeting senior editors of five leading journals”, featured Kris Byron (Associate Editor, Academy of Management Review), Christopher Marquis (Associate Editor, Administrative Science Quarterly), Gilad Chen (Editor, Journal of Applied Psychology), John Cantwell (Editor-in-Chief, Journal of International Business Studies), & Arun Rai (Editor-in-Chief, MIS Quarterly).
4) Chair and Organizer, 2015 Academy of Management Panel Symposium on “Designing the future of business schools: Persistent problems in changing contexts”, featured (alphabetically by last name) William Glick (Dean of Jones Graduate School of Business, Rice University; Chair Elect, AACSB), Peter Lorange (President, Lorange Institute; Board Member, EFMD; Former President, IMD), Henry Mintzberg (McGill), & JC Spender (Kozminski).
5) Chair and Organizer, 2014 Strategic Management Society Panel on “Family multinationals: Developing an institution-based analysis”, featured (alphabetically by last name) Ruth V. Aguilera (Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Bersant Hobdari (Copenhagen Business School), Mike W. Peng (Univ of Texas at Dallas), and David Reeb (National Univ of Singapore; Area Editor of JIBS)
6) Co-Chair and Organizer with Raveendra Chittoor (Indian School of Business), 2014 Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop (PDW) on “An institutional diversity perspective of global strategy”, featured (alphabetically by last name) Michael A. Hitt (Texas A&M), Robert E. Hoskisson (Rice; Asso Editor of SMJ), Tarun Khanna (Harvard), Mona Makhija (Ohio State; Area Editor of JIBS), Aldo Musacchio (Harvard), Ravi Ramamurti (Northeastern), Michael A. Witt (INSEAD), as well as Dan Catarivas (Manufacturers Association of Israel).
7) Chair and Organizer, 2014 Academy of International Business Panel on “Home-country institutions and corporate governance”, featured (alphabetically by last name) Robert E. Hoskisson (Rice; Asso Editor of SMJ), Igor Filatotchev (London), and country representatives (alphabetically by country name) Hsia Hua Sheng (FGV-EAESP, Brazil), Yasir Yasin Fadol (Qatar University, Qatar), and Hwy-Chang Moon (Seoul National University, South Korea).
8) Co-Chair and Organizer, with Karl P. Sauvant (Columbia University), 2014 Academy of International Business Panel on “Policies and instruments to support outward FDI: What are the challenges?”, featured (alphabetically by last name) Peter Buckley (Leeds; Past President of AIB/EIBA), Shawn Lim (Columbia Law School), Ana Teresa Lehmann (Porto; Past President of EIBA), and Aldo Musacchio (Harvard)
9) Co-Chair and Organizer, with Farok Contractor (Rutgers), 2013 Academy of International Business Panel on “Bridging history (back) to contemporary international business”, featured (alphabetically by last name) John Cantwell (Rutgers; Editor-in-Chief of JIBS), Geoffrey Jones (Harvard), Karl Moore (McGill & Oxford; Asso Editor of AMP), Oded Shenkar (Ohio State), and Mira Wilkins (Florida International).
10) Co-Organizer, 2007 Inaugural Conference of Transnational Corporations Review in Ottawa on “Transnational corporations and Canada-China foreign direct investment”, featured (alphabetically by last name) Johanne Boisvert (Agriculture Canada), Michael Darch (Ottawa Center for Research and Innovation), Hon. Brian Emmett (former VP of CIDA; former ADM of Natural Resources Canada), Hafiz Mirza (UNCTAD), Karl Sauvant (Columbia University), Bernard Wolf (Schulich School, York), and Yanzhong Zhang (Aviation Industry Corp of China; Chinese Academy of Engineering)
Copyrights © 2006-2026 All rights reserved.