In pursuit of the profound, the innovative, and the visionary
English Bay, Vancouver, Canada
My “Space-Time-Adaptation” philosophy for knowledge expansion
Complexity of institutional environments
Taylor & Francis most read articles in 2014 in social sciences.
8) Chen, V.Z., Kao, M-S., & Kuo, A. (2013). Taiwan: Inward foreign direct investment and its policy context”, with Ming-Sung Kao and Anthony Kuo, In K.P. Sauvant, P. Mallampally, and G. McAllister (eds.). Inward and outward FDI country profiles (2nd ed., pp. 1066-1081) New York, NY: Columbia University.
9) Li, J., Newenham-Kahindi, A., Shapiro, D.M., & Chen, V.Z. (2013). The two-tier bargaining model revisited: Theory and evidence from China’s natural resource investments in Africa. Global Strategy Journal, 3(4), 300-321.
Currently, I am working on
Chen, V.Z., Cantwell, J.A. An evolutionary framework of institutional diversity across societies, R&R
Chen, V.Z., Hobdari, B. Asynchronous promarket institutional changes and board social capital, R&R.
Sun, S.L., Shi, S.W., Chen, V.Z., & Prescott, J. Market reform synchronization and innovation, under review.
Chen, V.Z., Sauerwald S., Duran, P., van Essen, M., Hitt, M.A. National institutional configurations and stakeholder-agency: Pluralistic performance for multiple stakeholders, work-in-progress.
Summerville, K., Chen, V.Z., Taras, V., & Shaikh, S. Linguistic diversity and performance of global virtual teams, work-in-progress.
14) Chen, V.Z. (2019). Shareholder wealth effects of cultural diversity among blockholders: Evidence from cross-border acquisitions of US listed firms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 27(3): 186-209.
16) Chen, V.Z., Li, S., & Musacchio, A. (2016). Hybrid leviathans overseas: Governance-private shareholder conflicts in cross-border acquisitions. Academy of Management Meeting Best Paper Proceedings.
17) Chen, V.Z., Li, J., & Shapiro, D.M. (2015). Subnational institutions and outward FDI by Chinese firms: The mediating role of firm-specific advantages. Multinational Business Review, 23(4), 254 - 276 (Lead article in “Special Issue: Essays in Honour of Alan Rugman”).
Best Paper Finalist in the track of Developing-country MNC at 2012 Academy of International Business Meeting.
18) Chen, V.Z., & Aybar, S. (2015). Is springboard FDI strategy effective? Evidence from Turkish acquisitions. In L. Tihanyi, Banalieva, E.R., Devinney, T.M., & Pedersen, T. (ed.) Advances in International Management, Volume 28 on “Emerging economies and multinational enterprises” (pp. 503-528). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
APJM Mike Peng Best Paper Award of 2014
20) Chen, V.Z., Li, J., & Shapiro, D.M. (2012). International reverse spillover effects on parent firms: Evidences from emerging-market MNEs in developed markets. European Management Journal, 30(3), 204-218.
Currently, I am working on
Chen, V.Z., Sluhan, A., Hobdari, B., & Kellermanns, F. Family-financial shareholders and foreign acquisitions, R&R.
Chen, V.Z., Li, J., & Shapiro, D.M. R&D persistence after cross-border acquisitions, R&R.
Chen, V.Z., Zhang, Y., Sluhan A., Stanley, L., Kellermanns, F., Eddleston, K.A. Family migration and strategic change performance, work-in-progress.
Chen, V.Z., Aguilera, R. Shareholder logic complexity and agency theory, work-in-progress.
22) Chen, V.Z. & Hitt, M.A. (2019). Knowledge synthesis for scientific management: Practical integration for complexity versus scientific fragmentation for simplicity, Journal of Management Inquiry, accepted.
24) Chen, V.Z., & McMillan, C.J. (2012). Business schools in a changing global world: Who creates best practice and knowledge management? Inaugural EFMD Conference on Higher Education and Research Proceedings. Zurich, Switzerland.
Currently, I am working on
Chen, V.Z., Li, Y., Banks, G., & Gonzale-Mule, E. Knowledge synthesis on entry mode and performance, work-in-progress.
Chen, V.Z., Sauerwald S., Zhang, M., & Duran, P. Multi-stakeholder performance measurement and enhancement: A systematic review and meta-analysis, work-in-progress.
Chen, V.Z., Zadrozny, W., Machine reading of business publications, work-in-progress.
More on knowledge synthesis GoPeaks.org >>
25) Chen, V.Z. (2014). A ‘prehistory’ of multinational enterprises: Looking into the past to prepare for the future. European International Business Academy (EIBA) Zine – International Business Perspectives, 14, 19-22.
26) Chen, V.Z. (2012). Puzzles and truths about Indian outward FDI: Toward a more relevant and nuanced research agenda on emerging-market multinational enterprises. Academy of International Business (AIB) Insights, 12(3), 11-14.
29) Woo, Y.P., Zhao, X., Yu, H., Zhang, K.K., Eaton, S., Chen, V.Z., Li, S., Gao, X. (2011). China goes global. Vancouver, Canada, & Beijing, China: Asia-Pacific Foundation of Canada and China Council for Promotion of International Trade.
“Its conclusions will be of benefit to academic readers as well as government officials and diplomats whose responsibilities include balancing compliance expectations with a practical appreciation of how different rights and norms can be perceived, among equally well-meaning officials and institutions.” —Joseph Caron, former Canadian Ambassador to China, Japan, High Commissioner to India, and Assistant Deputy Minister (DFAIT)
“As a student of Canada-China relations over the past thirty years, I commend this collection of papers as a significant breakthrough in Canadian thinking about China.” —Earl Drake, former Canadian Ambassador to China, Indonesia, Assistant Deputy Minister (DFAIT), and Vice-President of CIDA
Presentations: intro, , , , , ,
Copyrights © 2006-2026 All rights reserved.